KOTA BHARU: The people of Kelantan were taken aback by news that Sultan Muhammad V has stepped down as the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
Some also admitted that they were unaware of the development.
A trader, Siti Nur Fahimah Razali, 25, said she learnt the news after checking her Facebook feed on Sunday evening.
She said she initially did not believe it and attributed it to rumours as news of his impending resignation had been swirling since last week.
“However, after reading reports from news sites, coupled with the statement from Istana Negara, only then did it sink in.
“As a Kelantanese, I am naturally stunned. The Tuanku is a man of the people, he is deeply concerned over the welfare of the people and is very much at ease with all levels of society.
“Although saddened by his decision, the people of Kelantan should accept it with an open heart,” she said.
Meanwhile, Zul Akmal Ali, 37, said he was also taken by surprise by the news.
“I heard the rumours but thought little of them, as I regarded them as coffee shop banter. I didn’t expect it to become reality,” he said.
Sultan Muhammad V has resigned as the 15th Yang di-Pertuan Agong effective Sunday. This marks the first time in Malaysian history that a sitting King has stepped down from the throne.
Comptroller of the Royal Household, Datuk Wan Ahmad Dahlan Abdul Aziz, in a statement, said the King had officially notified the Malay Rulers on the move through a letter sent to the Secretary of the Conference of Rulers.