(File pix) Firefighters from the volunteer fire brigade captured a massive worm residents at a home in Sungai Buloh mistook for a snake. NSTP Photo

KUALA LUMPUR: A team of firemen was deployed to a home in Saujana Utama, Sungai Buloh here yesterday after they received an emergency call about a ‘snake’ that had slithered its way into the residence.

In the 9.11pm incident, three firefighters from the volunteer fire brigade and a fire truck were dispatched to the scene to capture the uninvited guest.

"However, the firemen instead caught a 13cm-long worm which the homeowner mistook for a snake.

"The team took the worm and threw it away at a nearby location," said a spokesman from the Selangor Fire and Rescue Department today.

He added that the operation took about 10 minutes to complete.

"It was only a misunderstanding and the creature was actually a large black earthworm and not a snake.

"The Fire and Rescue Department will continue to respond to all emergency calls we receive," he added.