SHAH ALAM: Seven restaurants in Selayang and Kepong were ordered to shut down last Thursday due to rat and cockroach infestations, coupled with filthy conditions within the premises.
The restaurants were slapped with notices by the Selangor Health Department, which instructed them to close down for 14 days to facilitate clean-up works.
Selangor Health Department director Datuk Dr Khalid Ibrahim said the restaurants were shuttered under the Food Act 1983 as part of “Ops Premis Bersih” operations.
The operation was conducted by 83 state and Gombak district health, environment and inspecting officers with the presence of the police, which jointly checked 127 restaurants and eateries.
“Five restaurants were shut down after three rat infestations as well as two cockroach infestations were found within the premises. Two more restaurants were closed as their cleanliness rating was found to be below 65 per cent, which raised risks of food contamination.
“The seven restaurants were told to be sealed for 14 days to conduct cleaning works in accordance with Sections 10 and 11 of the Act, which is a notice to bring the premises into hygienic and sanitary conditions; and closure of unsanitary premises.
“If they adhere to all clean-up instructions, they will be allowed to resume operations with the consent of an authorised officer.
“However, until today, all the restaurants remain closed,” said Khalid in a statement today.
Apart from the closures, Khalid said 159 notices for offences related to food handling and cleanliness of premises were issued against restaurant operators and their staff.
The overall compound for the notices amounted to RM101,450.
Khalid said action was also taken against 108 food handlers who did not possess certification and 129 restaurant staff who did not get typhoid vaccinations.
He said Ops Premis Bersih will be continuously conducted in the state to ensure that restaurant operators and food handlers adhere to the laws, and that food are prepared in a safe manner.
“We want to avert any cases of food poisoning. The public are advised to inform us if they come across any food premises that are dirty or there are spoilt food sold in any premises,” he said.