PENANG: The Penang state government will act against an illegal quarry operator in Teluk Bahang here.
State Local Government chairman Jagdeep Singh Deo said they had since submitted the investigation papers and relevant documents to the Penang Island City Council (MBPP) legal adviser for further action.
“We will take legal action against the illegal quarry operator after our legal advisers goes through the documents,” he told a press conference at the Penang Chinese Chambers of Commerce here today.
It was reported that an illegal quarry was operating in Teluk Bahang for the past several years with the state government’s knowledge since it was exposed in May 2016.
The report also said MBPP had issued stop-work notices in February and May this year but the operator continued to carry out the quarry works.
Earlier, Sahabat Alam Malaysia president Meenaskhi Raman issued a statement expressing shock and asking questioning the authorities why no action had been taken against the illegal operator.
“Enforcement is determined by law and if the law says we have to issue notices, than that’s all we can do.
“If enforcement is insufficient, then we may have to relook the matter,” he said.
MBPP mayor Datuk Yew Tung Siang, who was present at the press conference, said a stop work order has been issued against the illegal quarry on Feb 14, this year.
He said a police report was also lodged against the illegal quarry last month.
“The police are investigating and had asked for a week or two to complete their investigation.
“We have our plan on what we are going to do and we are working closely with the police,” he said.
Yew said the council had been monitoring the illegal quarry for some time.
“During our checks, we found that they would operate off and on.
“Sometimes they stop and sometimes they work,” he said.