KOTA KINABALU: Police confirmed that the family of three fishermen, who were kidnapped on Tambisan waters in Lahad Datu last month, has received two calls, including a demand for ransom.
However, the amount demanded by the kidnappers could not be revealed at the moment.
Sabah police commissioner Datuk Omar Mammah said, one of the family members received a second call on Sept 30.
“As informed, there have been calls made by the suspects and the last call was made to one of the victim’s sister in Sandakan.
“The suspect demanded ransom for all three fishermen,” he said after attending the monthly assembly at the Sabah police contingent headquarters.
Detailing further, Omar said the police would not entertain the demand and would work closely with the authorities in the neighbouring country.
“The fishermen are believed to be somewhere in the southern of the Philippines and we are still in contact with the authorities there. We will not entertain the ransom demand,” he added.
In the Sept 23 incident, three Indonesian fishermen, Maharudin Lunani, 48, his son Muhamamd Farhan, 27, and his nephew Samiun Maneu, 27, were kidnapped by seven armed men while catching prawns.
Read the story here.
Meanwhile, Republic of Indonesia Consulate chief Sulistijo Djati Ismojo when contacted said he hasn’t received any information on the amount of ransom.
“So far we haven’t heard any development except on the ransom demand as reported in the media.
“We hope Malaysian authority will work on their release. Based on our record, this is the 29th case involving Indonesians,” he said.