KUALA LUMPUR: Organisers of the Tattoo Malaysia Expo 2019 apologised to the Malaysian people today over a semi-nude incident during a competition at the event – images of which went viral on social media.
The founder of Blackout Trading, Carlos @ Benny, said the incident was truly unintentional and they sincerely take full responsibility for it.
He added that the company will take the necessary steps to prevent such an incident from happening in the future.
“We would like to take this opportunity to apologise to all of the people of Malaysia who have been affected by the recently viral posts regarding the event. The lack of due diligence on our end should not have happened.
“We have clearly failed to protect the interests of the public. We now only ask for forgiveness for us to set things right and fix what can be fixed. Rest assured, history shall not repeat itself as we have learned from our mistakes and will only come back stronger,” he said in a statement.
Carlos said that the event had obtained support from the Malaysia Convention & Exhibition Bureau (MyCEB), an agency under the Ministry of Tourism, Arts and Culture, but stressed that the agency should not be blamed for the incident.
“We failed to provide full disclosure on the activities happening during our event. Despite the shortcoming from our end, we understand that it does not and will not amount to a defence,” he said.
Carlos added that they will respect any decision made by the Ministry and the MyCEB over their lack of disclosure.
Tattoo Malaysia Expo 2019, which was held from Nov 29 to Dec 1, had participants from 35 countries. The expo was previously held in Sabah in 2015, 2016 and 2017.
On Monday, Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture Datuk Mohamaddin Ketapi said that the ministry will take appropriate action against the expo’s organiser, and had instructed the MyCEB to investigate the matter. – Bernama