KUALA LUMPUR: Datuk Seri Najib Razak today filed a formal application to obtain the ‘shocking’ recording of conversations allegedly between him and his associates conspiring to cover up the 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB) scandal.
Najib who filed the notice of motion on Wednesday at the High Court stated that the recordings, which were released by Malaysian Anti Corruption Commission (MACC) chief commissioner Latheefa Koya were ‘crucial evidence’ for his defence in his on-going trials involving 1MDB and SRC International Sdn Bhd.
Najib, through his lead counsel Tan Sri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah, wants the prosecution or the MACC to compile the complete audio recordings for their inspection.
The former premier in his affidavit in support said Latheefa had made a serious allegation against him during the Press conference concerning SRC International and 1MDB cases.
“Latheefa has identified one of the audio recordings to be a purported conversation between me and the crown prince of the United Arab Emirates, Sheikh Mohammed Zayed Al Nahyan.
“The purported conversation was in relation to the dispute between 1MDB and Abu Dhabi based International Petroleum Investment Company (IPIC) which was scheduled for arbitration at the material time.
“I have been advised by my solicitor and I verily believe that the said audio recording is relevant to the proposed settlement between IPIC and 1MDB as was testified by the eight prosecution witness in the 1MDB case, Datuk Ahmari Effendi Nazaruddin,” he said.
On Jan 8, the graft buster dropped a bombshell by releasing about 50 minutes of recorded conversations between several people allegedly including Najib and his wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor.
Latheefa during the press conference described the contents as “shocking, sordid and very disturbing.”
She said the recordings raised serious issues about obstruction of justice, compromising national security, and fabrication of false evidence.
The recordings took place between Jan 5 and July 29, 2016.
Najib, 66, is currently facing charges against him relating to SRC International before High Court judge Mohd Nazlan Mohd Ghazali.
The Pekan member of parliament pleaded not guilty to 25 charges of graft and money laundering relating to transactions amounting to RM2.3 billion linked to the sovereign wealth fund.
He also claimed trial to 21 charges under the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing Act 2001.
In November last year, he was ordered to enter defence on seven counts of abusing his position for gratification, criminal breach of trust and money laundering involving RM42 million of SRC International Sdn Bhd (former subsidiary of 1MDB) funds.