Close ↓
People wearing facemasks to help stop the spread of a deadly virus which began in the city, wait for medical attention at Wuhan Red Cross Hospital in Wuhan. -Reuters
People wearing facemasks to help stop the spread of a deadly virus which began in the city, wait for medical attention at Wuhan Red Cross Hospital in Wuhan. -Reuters

KUALA LUMPUR: Up to 87 Malaysians living in Wuhan and elsewhere in Hubei province in China, who returned home for the Lunar New Year holiday recently, are free of the virus.

Hubei province and its capital, Wuhan, are the epicentre of the deadly 2019-nCoV outbreak, which has so far killed 56 people and infected almost 2,000 in China.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said all 87 Malaysians underwent health screenings at international entry points nationwide upon arrival.

He added that they were also ordered to report to the nearest health facility should they develop symptoms of the SARS-like virus.

Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah. -NSTP/File pic
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah. -NSTP/File pic

“So far, none of the Malaysians based in Wuhan who have returned have tested positive for 2019-nCoV,” Dr Noor Hisham said.

On Saturday, Malaysia’s Ambassador to China, Datuk Zainal Abidin, revealed that 87 Malaysians registered in Wuhan and surrounding areas had returned to Malaysia for the Lunar New Year holiday.

He added that approximately 28 Malaysians are still in Wuhan and unable to leave as the city is under lockdown to prevent the spread of the virus.

However, Zainal assured Malaysians that they are safe and healthy.

Close ↓