KUALA LUMPUR: The two professional shuttlers, implicated in match-fixing, can take their case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), if the verdict by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) is not in their favour.
According to a source, who is also a lawyer, both the players are entitled to appeal to the CAS, if they believe they were subject to an “unfair trial.”
"If they feel that by going to the CAS, they can find justice, then there is no problem at all. They can challenge on any grounds.
"Only thing is, they must inform the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia) of their intention, because the national body is responsible for the sport here," said the source when contacted on Thursday.
Both the players have got six charges of match-fixing in tournaments between 2013-2016 against them, after a report was lodged to the BWF by a non-Malaysian shuttler in 2016.
The BWF then appointed a three-man independent panel, which held a two-day hearing in Singapore last Monday and Tuesday.
The world governing body have so far not officially named the two players called up for the hearing.
Former world junior champion (2011) Zulfadli Zulkiffli and 2010 Thomas Cupper Tan Chun Seang were seen attending the hearing at a hotel in Singapore.
The BWF are expected to make an official statement on the verdict of the hearing within the next three weeks.
The source explained that both players must be ready to have a huge sum of money, if they are to challenge the case in the CAS, which is based in Lausanne, Switzerland.
"On top of that, the lawyers for both players must prepare all the documents necessary, before the case is considered by the CAS," said the source.
Under BWF rules, a player can be banned for life if found guilty of match-fixing.