KUALA LUMPUR: Many people in the Malaysian badminton fraternity are eager to know the fates of the two shuttlers allegedly involved in match-fixing.
Since NSTP Sport broke the news of the two shuttlers “summoned” by the Badminton World Federation (BWF) for a two-day hearing in Singapore, the case has created much interest.
After the hearing ended on Tuesday, many have been asking what will happen to the duo. BWF are expected to announce their verdict in three weeks.
Among those keenly following the case is former national coach Rashid Sidek who is concerned that the match-fixing allegation could put Malaysian badminton in bad light.
“This is BWF’s first case (on match-fixing). There will be much interest especially when it involves two Malaysian players,” he said today.
“I, myself, can’t wait to hear the BWF’s decision. It’s not that I want the two players to be punished but I am interested in the cause of the investigation and its result.”
Rashid said if the two shuttlers are found guilty, BWF should take stern action against them as a warning to others.
“The BWF shouldn’t be lenient if they are guilty. This is to deter other players from match-fixing,” he said.
The BWF have yet to reveal the identities of the two players implicated in the match-fixing allegation.
Former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli and ex-Thomas Cupper Tan Chun Seang were seen attending the BWF hearing at a hotel in Singapore earlier this week.