Close ↓
Initially, the Badminton Asia flagship event was scheduled in Wuhan but had to be relocated due to the Covid-19 outbreak. (Pic via Twitter/@Badminton_Asia)
Initially, the Badminton Asia flagship event was scheduled in Wuhan but had to be relocated due to the Covid-19 outbreak. (Pic via Twitter/@Badminton_Asia)

THERE has been no official confirmation, but it is understood that the Asia Championships on April 21-26 will be moved to Manila from Wuhan.

Earlier this month, the team event, which also served as a qualifier for the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup, was held in the Philippines capital.

Initially, the Badminton Asia flagship event was scheduled in Wuhan but had to be relocated due to the Covid-19 outbreak.

The only concern now is whether players from China and Hong Kong will be able to participate in the Asian meet, which is also the last tournament on the calendar to offer qualification points for the Tokyo Olympics.

Due to travel bans imposed by the Philippines, China and Hong Kong were forced to withdraw from the team event.

India’s women’s team also skipped it as a precautionary measure.

“Nothing has been confirmed although I was told that Manila would play host again,” said a source yesterday.

“As for China, I think it should not be a problem as long as they are out from the country for 14 days,” he added.

Last week, the Badminton World Federation confirmed that China players have been given the green light to compete in World Tour events in Europe, beginning with next week’s German Open.

The China BA also noted that their players, who did not play in several tournaments, are free from the deadly virus and have been training in England.

The Covid-19, which was first detected in Wuhan in December, has killed more than 2,700 people and infected more than 80,000.

On Tuesday, BWF issued a statement on the postponement of the Vietnam International Challenge, which was scheduled on March 24-29. It will now be held on June 2-7.

Close ↓