THE National Sports Council (NSC) are closely monitoring the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, but have yet to make a decision on the training programme of six national divers currently based in China.
NSC director-general Datuk Ahmad Shapawi Ismail told Timesport yesterday that his team, along with those from the Amateur Swimming Association of Malaysia (Asum) have been in contact with the coaches and divers to keep abreast of the situation.
Pandelela Rinong, Leong Mun Yee, Wendy Ng, Kimberly Bong and Enrique Maccartney are in Chengdu while 2017 world champion Cheong Jun Hoong is in Qinhuangdao.
“Firstly, we need to be aware of the divers’ training schedule. They are not the same because each has a different visa.
“Pandelela and Mun Yee will be back on Sunday to renew their visas. Wendy, Kimberly and Eric will return on Feb 13.
“Jun Hoong is expected to be back on March 14.
“We will look at the situation again and then decide if we want to continue with their training programmes in China,” said Shapawi.
It is learnt that the Sports Ministry are also in close contact with the Foreign Affairs Ministry, while the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing are aware that six national divers are in China for training.
According to Shapawi, the divers are currently focusing on improving their dive techniques, which require harness training in the gym and at the pool.
“Our divers are not allowed to leave their training centres.
“They have also been briefed on the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) issued by Wisma Putera to all Malaysian citizens in China,” he added.
Shapawi confirmed that the six divers are the only Malaysian athletes, under their care, who are currently training in China.
About 80 deaths have been linked to the deadly virus so far and more than a dozen countries, including Malaysia, have recorded cases.