JAKARTA: Travellers both local and foreign, will get discounts and incentives of up to 30 per cent from the Indonesian government as they venture across the country.
The offer was revealed by President Joko Widodo following a cabinet meeting here on Monday to counter the decrease in tourism due to the Covid-19 outbreak and the rising number of cancellations by travellers nationwide, according to The Jakarta Post.
“I met the finance minister, and we will weigh the possibility of providing a discount or incentive of up to 30 per cent for foreign tourists,” he said.
The discounts would be likely applied to tour packages for certain destinations and service fees on airlines at local airports.
Finance Minister Sri Mulyani said the proposal would be discussed further with other related ministries, such the Health Ministry, Tourism and Creative Economy Ministry, Transportation Ministry, as well as State-Owned Enterprises Ministry.
“Everything is currently being finalised, including how long the (initiative will run).
“We are still calculating the different incentives offered during the low and peak season.”
The Covid-19 outbreak had been a blow to Indonesia’s travel industry, with massive cancellations of flights and hotels.
The Indonesian Hotel and Restaurant Association recorded at least 20,000 cancellations for Bali since the rise of the new coronavirus in early January.
The tourism minister also said Indonesia could suffer potential losses of up to US$2.8 billion from Chinese tourists, whose numbers reached an average of 2 million.
Indonesia saw 16.1 million foreign tourist arrivals last year, with Chinese visitors contributing to 12 per cent of all foreign arrivals.