KUALA LUMPUR: Following is the list of major commercial airliners shot down over the last 40 years:
* February 21, 1973: Libyan Airlines Flight 114 from Tripoli to Cairo shot down over Sinai Peninsula by Israeli F-4 Phantom II fighters, killing 113 people on board.
* September 1, 1983: A total of 269 passengers and crew of Korean Air Lines Flight 007 were killed after the flight was shot down by a Soviet Su-15TM fighter aircraft near Moneron Island, west of Sakhalin Island, in the Sea of Japan. The aircraft was flying from Anchorage to Seoul.
* July 3, 1988: A total of 290 passengers and crew of Iran Air Flight 655 were killed after the plane was shot down by the United States Navy guided missile cruiser USS Vincennes. The attack took place in Iranian airspace, over Iran’s territorial waters in the Persian Gulf. The plane was flying from Tehran to Dubai.
* September 29, 1998: Lionair Flight LN 602, operated by an Antonov An-24RV, fell into the sea off the north-western coast of Sri Lanka under mysterious circumstances, killing the 47 passengers and crew. However, some reports said it was shot down by the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam rebels.
* July 17, 2014: Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17, flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur is believed to have been shot down in Ukraine. A total 298 people were on board the aircraft.