KUALA LUMPUR: A major landslide struck KM52.5 of the KL-Karak Highway at approximately 6.45pm today, cutting off both sides of the highway.
As of 8.30pm, the roads have remained impassable to traffic. Highway authorities have deployed excavation vehicles to clear the roads.
The Malaysian Highway Authority as well as police have also urged motorists who plan to use the highway to postpone their travel plans.
For those already on the highway, the authorities have issued instructions on how to get out of the stretch.
Motorists from the East Coast are advised to use the following routes:
- Exit the Karak toll plaza to Pelangai-Bahau-Seremban-Kuala Lumpur.
- Via Bentong-Karak-Pelangai-Bahau-Seremban-KL.
Those who had bypasssed the exit and are headed to the Bentong toll plaza:
- Make a U-turn before the Bentong toll plaza and follow through to Karak-Pelangai-Bahau-Seremban and onward to KL.
- Do not use the emergency lanes, which are reserved for emergency vehicles. This can hinder the passage of rescue equipment and personnel.
** The Works Ministry anticipates the cleanup works to be completed by 10am tomorrow. Road-users will be informed from time to time on the latest developments.
- Those in need of assistance can contact the MHA at 1800-88-7752 for further information.