SHAH ALAM: Police have nabbed two suspects involved in theft of telecommunication cables and equipment.
The suspects, aged between 37 and 40, were arrested on June 2 at an unlicensed outlet in Bukit Kemuning at 12.15pm.
Shah Alam district police chief ACP Shafien Mamat said police had received 11 reports from major telco companies such as Celcom, Maxis, Digi, UMobile and internet service provider, P1.
Initial investigation revealed that the suspects had been actively operating since last year. One of the suspects is an Indian national.
"On Saturday we arrested a thief, aged 27, who was also part of the syndicate, at 3am here in Shah Alam," he said.
He said the group not only operated in the Klang Valley but expanded to Malacca and Negri Sembilan.
"Our investigations showed that the suspects were trying to fence stolen items to a buyer. A part of the cables and equipment had already been sold.
The total items seized amounted to RM1.7 million," Shafien told a press conference at the police headquarters today.
He said the suspects had no prior criminal records.
Shafien said police are still looking for six more suspects involved in the syndicate.
The suspects have been remanded until Thursday.