GEORGE TOWN: A prominent businessman slain in a shooting rampage here last Thursday was linked to several investigations under the Emergency Ordinance (EO).
State police chief Datuk Abdul Ghafar Rajab said the late Datuk Ong Teik Kwong was, however, never directly connected to, charged or convicted of any offense under the EO.
"Ong was probed under the EO, but he has no criminal record.
"He has never been charged with any offence," Abdul Ghafar said today.
Ghafar had been asked to provide updates on the ongoing investigation of Ong's bodyguard and driver, both in their 30s, who were detained and remanded for murder investigations.
The duo’s 7-day remand, which expires tomorrow, will likely be extended for another week.
Abdul Ghafar said a section of Tun Dr Lim Chong Eu Expressway, where the mass shooting took place, will be closed to traffic from 9am to 5pm tomorrow.
"The closure will enable the forensic team to re-visit the crime scene and comb it for evidence.
"We had collected 11 bullet casings from the scene, but our investigations are not done yet," he said, and urged road users to avoid the stretch of the George Town-bound highway near the Penang Bridge tomorrow.
Abdul Ghafar said the police have recorded statements from 19 witnesses so far.
Ong was laid to rest yesterday following an elaborate funeral procession attended by a crowd of thousands at a cemetery in Relau.
On the separate case of the assault of a 47-year-old man by a group of people at Ong's funeral, the video of which went viral on social media, Abdul Ghafar said a perpetrator was arrested, but he will be released on police bail tomorrow, as his remand expires today.
He said police have identified two men allegedly involved in the beating whom they are confident will be arrested soon.