KUALA LUMPUR: The Attorney-General's Chambers has filed a motion to overturn a high court decision for the 1MDB trial involving Datuk Seri Najib Razak to begin on Aug 19.
The A-G wants Najib's trial involving the abuse of SRC International Sdn Bhd to be completed first before the 1MDB trial starts.
In the motion filed by Deputy Public Prosecutor Budiman Lutfi Mohamed at the deputy registrar's office today, he explained that the SRC International trial commenced on Apr 3 and is scheduled to continue until Aug 15.
He noted that the prosecution had called 44 witnesses so far, with another 20 more to go.
Therefore, he said it was highly unlikely that the trial can be completed by Aug 15.
"Hence this application to obtain an order for the commencement of the 1MDB trial to be postponed pending the completion of the SRC International trial.
"Any postponement will not be indefinate or open ended. It will only be until the SRC International trial is completed with the giving of a judgement.
"It does not have to be postponed pending any appeals," he said in the affidavit.
The A-G also indicated that the chambers is willing to bring forward any trials pending in the courts that do not involve Najib.
This is to accomodate the trial dates vacated by justice Collin Lawrence Sequerah for the 1MDB trial.
Sequerah had on Monday rejected the A-G's request for the 1MDB trial to be postponed to make way for the SRC International case to be completed.
He denied the request after noting that the 1MDB trial had been postponed three times before.
He then ordered the trial to begin on the previously fixed dates of Aug 19 until Aug 29 and resume on Sept 2 until Nov 14 except Fridays.
On Sept 20 last year, Najib was charged with 25 corruption charges involving RM2.28 billion of 1MDB money.
His first four charges were framed under Section 23(1) and 24(1) of the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Act 2009 while the other 21 charges were under Section 4(1)(a) of the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing Act 2001 (AMLATFA).
For the charges under the MACC Act, the 66-year-old was accused of using his position as prime minister, finance minister and chairman of the 1MDB advisory board at the time, to receive bribes on four occasions.
Meanwhile, the money-laundering charges include nine counts of receiving illegal proceeds, five counts of using illegal proceeds and seven counts of transferring the proceeds to other entities.