Close ↓
The duo are escorted by policemen after the trial at Kota Kinabalu Magistrate’s Court. - NSTP/JUWAN RIDUAN
The duo are escorted by policemen after the trial at Kota Kinabalu Magistrate’s Court. - NSTP/JUWAN RIDUAN

KOTA KINABALU: A 26-year-old man was sentenced to 10 months' imprisonment by the Magistrate's Court here today for obstructing police in carrying out their duties during the Movement Control Order (MCO).

Yong Tze Hou pleaded guilty to the offence under Section 186 of the Penal Code read to him before Magistrate Stephanie Sherron Abie.

He was accused of obstructing Corporal Abdul Rahman Yusuf at 1.30am between Jalan Kampung Cenderakasih and Jalan Bukit Bendera on March 25.

Senior Federal Counsel Khairul Annuar prosecuted, while Yong was unrepresented.

According to the facts of the case, two policemen in a mobile station van spotted the accused driving with a female friend and her baby at Bukit Bendera.

When police approached the van, the accused sped off, prompting a chase. The policemen requested for back up from other teams, who were on MCO roadblock duty at the time.

The court was informed that the accused refused to comply with a police order to stop. Fearing for the safety of the baby on board, policemen were instructed to simply follow the accused.

In the one-hour pursuit, the court was informed that the accused was driving dangerously and drove through several roads until the Penampang district to evade the police.

Yong, however, lost control after the vehicle ran out of gas as he drove back to Bukit Bendera.

The court was told that the accused was on his way to send his friend to Kampung Likas to inform the latter's family that her husband had been arrested for having no documents.

The duo, however, panicked when approached by police and Yong also admitted taking syabu on March 24, while the female passenger admitted taking drugs two weeks ago.

In pleading for leniency, Yong apologised for his mistake and for causing trouble to his family as well as the police.

Khairul, however, asked for a strict sentence to be imposed as the incident had caused policemen to take risks during the MCO operation and to serve as a stern reminder to others.

In a similar case, the court imposed a RM6,000 fine, in default 10 months' imprisonment on 33-year-old Injimar Abu Gafar for obstructing police during Ops Covid-19 roadblock on March 23.

The accused, who was also unrepresented, allegedly committed the offence at 6pm at Jalan Tuaran Batu 7 near Servay Inanam, here.

Police had stopped the accused, who holds a permanent resident card, after he was found to have no Class D driver’s license. He was also ferrying a passenger, who had no identification documents.

The court was informed that the accused uttered rude comments at police on duty and had also punched his car bonnet.

In sentencing, Stephanie had also ordered Injimar to be referred to the immigration department for further action.


Close ↓