GEORGE TOWN: Parti Cinta Malaysia (PCM) deputy president Datuk Huan Cheng Guan claimed he had been vindicated over the proposed RM6.3 billion Penang undersea tunnel project.
Huan, who was instrumental in lodging a repot which saw the matter investigated by the graft busters, said even the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) had been vindicated.
He said Tuesday’s news report, that a Datuk Seri businessman had allegedly received RM19 million cash in a failed attempt to stop the MACC investigation, showed there was possible wrong-doing in the project.
He added that over the past three years, he had received unfair criticisms and brickbats from Pakatan Harapan supporters, who accused him of unfairly targeting the DAP-led Penang government over the mega infrastructure project.
"I was even sued for defamation over this, and also received death threats. These people were unhappy when I had made multiple MACC reports over this project.
"Today, I can tell these people that I have been vindicated.
"MACC was also vindicated, as this also proved that their investigation into the project, had merit and basis - and not a political persecution as claimed by DAP and the Penang government leadership," he said here today.
Huan said his suspicions and findings about the dubious project, that involved at least RM6.34 billion of the Penang people's money, was now proven to be not unfounded.
"I call upon the MACC to continue and speed up their investigation, including at the highest level of the state government and political leaders, to determine if there is abuse of power and corruption.
"Let the truth be known. Let the public know that those who cry corruption often are also those who are most likely to be guilty of corruption themselves," he stressed, thanking the MACC for carrying out their duties without fear and favour.
It was reported that the 37-year-old businessman was the latest person to be arrested by the MACC in the probe into the undersea tunnel project.
Sources close to the investigation had said that the suspect was paid RM19 million to “cover up” the commission’s investigation into the controversial mega infrastructure project.
The suspect allegedly approached the construction company linked to the project and convinced it that he was able to “settle” the case with MACC.
The suspect had thrown in the names of several political figures to convince the contractor that he would be able to ‘close’ the file on the investigation.
He had also claimed that these political figures could have ‘a word’ with the MACC.
The company agreed, and paid RM19 million in stages in July and August last year, to the VIP.