A man looks at a message board for passengers, onboard the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370, during its fourth annual remembrance event in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia March 3, 2018. REUTERS

PUTRAJAYA: The Malaysian International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) will release an update on the investigations involving the missing flight MH370 tomorrow, marking the fourth anniversary of the tragedy.

Transport Minister Datuk Seri Liow Tiong Lai said the team chief investigator Datuk Kok Soo Chon would release the statement via a televised broadcast on Radio Televisyen Malaysia (RTM) 1 at 3.30pm.

The annual statement which is released on the anniversary of the tragedy, would outline the details and updates of the investigations carried out from year to year.

"The statement will also be uploaded to the official MH370 website (www.mh370.gov.my), where it will first be made available to the next-of-kin only, and subsequently made public at 3.00pm Malaysian time," he said.

On March 8, 2014, flight MH370 with 239 people on board, had dropped off radar shortly after taking off from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, sparking a massive search in the southern Indian Ocean which ended in January last year.

"The date will always be in our memory. It has undoubtedly been a difficult and trying forty-eight months for the families and loved ones of the passengers and crew of Flight MH370.

"Four years may have passed, but the memories of the passengers and crew on-board will always be with all of us and they will be remembered dearly not only by the families but also by Malaysians and the world community," Liow said in a statement.

Liow said the Malaysian government was committed towards the search when it agreed to allow a US exploration firm to resume the hunt for the plane, a year after the search was suspended.

The search was started on Jan 19 on a “no cure no fee” basis within a 90-day time frame.

"The mission involves a total of 65 crew on board including two personnel from the Royal Malaysian Navy as the government's representative.

"To date, the vessel Seabed Constructor has covered more than 16,000 square kilometres within the 25,000 square kilometres most probable area.

"Our commitment to the families and to the people of Malaysia remains steadfast as we continue to complete the search mission by Ocean Infinity to find the answers that we all seek," he added.

1,312 reads

Related Articles

Most Read Stories by