JOHOR BAHRU: A boy who was rescued by the police at the Desa Melayu flats in Taman Bayu Puteri, here, yesterday, was found to be without a MyKid as his birth was never registered.
The 12-year old who had signs of abuse on his body also did not attend school and lived at home with his two step siblings; a three-year-old girl and a one-year-old boy.
Johor Bahru Selatan (JBS) district police chief Asst Comm Shahurinain Jais said the boy's mother and stepfather who had been arrested admitted to having abused him.
"At 11.30am yesterday, we received a report of a child abuse case and following that, we conducted an investigation and arrested two individuals, a 29-year-old local man who is also the victim's stepfather and a 38-year-old foreign woman who is the victim's mother at a house in Taman Bayu Putri, here, at 1pm.
"Based on interrogation, the husband and wife duo admitted to having abused the boy over the past two years," he said.
According to him, the victim is now undergoing medical treatment at a hospital in the state.
"Investigation also found that the male suspect who is a bus driver in Singapore had once been a police volunteer at the Puchong Jaya police station in Selangor, while the wife is an online food seller," he said.
"The picture that had gone viral on Facebook showing the suspect wearing a police vest while sitting on a motorcycle is an old picture when he was still a volunteer. His service as a volunteer was terminated in 2013," Shahurinain added.
He informed that the couple have been remanded for seven days beginning today until Feb 26 to assist in investigation under Section 31(1) of the Child Act 2001 for abuse.
He said members of the public with information are advised to be in touch with the JBS district police headquarters at 07-2218999.
Photos of the boy depicting scars on his body had gone viral on social media since yesterday evening.
Two photos showed old and new wounds on the victim's body including his back.