KUALA LUMPUR: Preparations are in place to welcome the Malaysian citizens and their families who are being evacuated from Wuhan, China in the wake of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
Based on the preparations being set up at the Air Disaster Centre (ADU) at Kuala Lumpur International Airport, the evacuees will undergo health screening upon their return.
The Health Ministry also confirmed that those who are diagnosed with symptoms of the virus will be placed at a quarantine centre for 14 days.
This first batch of evacuees comprise 132 evacuees, along with eight mission officers, 12 flight crews and six officers from the Malaysian Embassy in Beijing.
Based on photos provided by National Disaster Management Agency (Nadma), tents had been set up, along with medical supplies and other necessary preparations to carry out the medical examinations.
Officers from the Hazardous Materials Management Team (HAZMAT) were also deployed at the site.
Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail in a statement today said AirAsia flight AK826, carrying 12 crews and eight mission officers depart from klia2 to Wuhan at 3.50pm. The flight also carries the necessary supplies such as masks, gloves and food subject to a list approved by the Chinese Government.
Yesterday, it was said that the first batch of 132 people comprises 108 Malaysians and 24 non-citizens (spouses/children) who were registered with the Malaysian Embassy there.
Meanwhile, Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Dzulkefly Ahmad in a statement today said all the passengers will not be entering the KLIA terminal building upon their arrival.
“They will disembark from the plane and immediately board on a special bus that will take them to ADU for the screening process.
“Those diagnosed with symptoms of the virus will be taken to the hospital, while those who are healthy will be brought to a quarantine centre for fortnight monitoring.
“They will be allowed to return to their respective homes after being confirmed negative from coronavirus infection,” Dr Dzulkefly said.
Dr Dzulkefly also said that as of noon, there have been no further positive cases. The cumulative number of reported positive cases remains at eight.
The total cumulative number of Patient Under Investigation (PUI) is 192 and 16 are awaiting laboratory results.
On Saturday, the New Straits Times reported that the government has been granted permission by the Chinese authorities to evacuate Malaysians in Wuhan and areas in Hubei province following the outbreak.
There are about 35,000 Malaysians living in China, 25,000 in Hong Kong and 2,500 in Beijing.