EVERYONE gets excited to collect the key to their new home. They can’t wait to enter the house to check on its conditions and start making renovation plans.
But before opening the door for the first time (whether or not you are a firm believer of Feng Shui), there are several procedures to improve the auspiciousness of your new home.
1. Select an auspicious date and time to open the door and have a simple “Door Opening Ceremony”. On that date, knock the door three times before you insert your keys and open the door. Say auspicious things as you do this (what you decide to say depends on individual).
2. When entering the premises, give loud propitious greetings. This is for good health, good fortune, safety and smooth-sailing progress in future endavours.
3. Roll a pineapple (known in Hokkien as Ong Lye) or mandarin oranges around the house, while repeating words of positive encouragement, like asking for an abundance of wealth.
4. Open all the windows for the smooth flow of air and energy.
5. To sow wealth and to disperse any negative energy in the house, mix uncooked rice, sea salt, tea leaves (Tie Guan Yin) and green beans and scatter it all around the house (including the toilet and the yard).
6. Burn incense sticks to ward off evil.
7. Do not sweep the house on the first day you enter as you would be sweeping away luck.
Once you have done the above, you can continue to walk around the house but try to avoid stepping on any of the items that you have either placed or sprinkled on the floor.