Malaysian doubles players Ong Yew Sin (right) and Teo Ee Yi, during their game against Thailand’s Kittinupong Kedren and Dechapol Puavaranukroh, during the men’s doubles finals at KL Sea Games 2017. Pix by Mohamad Shahril Badri Saali

KUALA LUMPUR: Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Seri Norza Zakaria says the national badminton squad will have to go back to the drawing board after failing to achieve the two gold medal target at the Kuala Lumpur Sea Games (KL2017).

On Tuesday, Malaysia ended their campaign at this year's edition with one gold, five silver and two bronze medals.

The national body had initially targeted two gold medals, two silver and four bronzes.

"As you all know, we had to split our team. Some left for Glasgow for the World Championships while the rest stayed back for the Sea Games.

"I would say that I am reasonably pleased with the women's squad but for the men, there is much to be done.

"We must accept that we did not meet our target, so it's back to the drawing board. I will have to sit with all the head coaches including our technical director (Morten Frost) to fix this."

"At the same time, I would also like to congratulate Goh Jin Wei (women's singles) for delivering our only gold at this Games. Soniia (Cheah) also did well.

"Basically all our players who played in today's final did what they could," said Norza, who would have expected a better birthday gift after turning 51 on Tuesday.

Norza, who took over the BAM's president post in April, also stressed that the men's singles department is still the national body's biggest concern.

"We need to sort this out. I will discuss with coach Misbun (Sidek) and see what we have to do next."

Meanwhile, former world No 1 Lee Chong Wei, was also present at the Axiata Arena to support the national squad.

After suffering a shock first round defeat in the hands of Frenchman Brice Leverdez at the World Championships last week, Chong Wei reassured that he will not hang up his racquet just yet.

"It is still difficult for me to accept the defeat, but after discussing with our president and considering what I still have to offer, I will play on.

"Next year is a huge with the Commonwealth Games and Thomas Cup just to name a few. So I will plan my tournaments carefully," said Chong Wei.

914 reads