It seems very likely that the Asia Team Championships in Manila will be affected by growing concerns over the Wuhan coronavirus.
Although the Asian meet, at the Rizal Memorial Coliseum on Feb 11-16, is unlikely to be postponed, China and Hong Kong may not be able to compete in it.
This is because the Philippines has imposed a travel ban on China and its territories.
Badminton Asia (BA), the governing body of the Asian region, have so far kept silent regarding the issue.
When contacted, an official of the BA said: “I can’t comment on it now. If there is a need for it, our office will issue a press release.”
Even Asian member associations are unsure if the travel ban will implicate the Chinese and Hong Kong teams.
BA of Malaysia (BAM) secretary-general Datuk Kenny Goh is not very pleased with the lack of information.
“They have not been giving enough information and if they do not tell, how are we supposed to know what’s going on?” said Kenny.
“I don’t understand why they can’t handle the media flow better. What is wrong in giving out such information?”
China have been drawn in Group B with Hong Kong and Thailand in the men’s competition while their women’s team are in Group Z with Taiwan and Singapore.
The Hong Kong women’s team are in Group W with Japan and Malaysia.
If both the China and Hong Kong men and women’s teams are barred from entering the Philippines, both teams won’t be able to qualify on merit for the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup in Denmark on May 16-24.