Crime & Courts

Pharmacy assistant charged with murder of disabled sister

SUNGAI PETANI: After their father passed away about a year ago, Nur Syuhaidah Mohd Sani, 36, did the noble thing by taking her disabled sister to live with her.

Prior to that, her sister Nur Fatin Mohd Sani, 29, the third child of five, had always been under the care of their father at their family home in Taman Bakar Arang until he died.

Syuhaidah, a bachelor who is renting a room at a double-storey house in Residensi Prima Puteri Jaya here, juggled between working as an assistant at the pharmacy unit of a private hospital and caring for her sister.

Her lack of experience in managing a disabled person proved to be too overwhelming for Syuhaidah.

Behind the door of their room, lies what believed to be despicable acts of physical tortures on a mentally challenged woman, in the hands of her own sister that was supposed to care and protect her.

This morning, Syuhaidah cut a lonely figure as she stood in the dock of the magistrate's court to face a charge of causing the death of her handicapped sister.

According to the charge, she is accused of committing the offence at a house number 330, Jalan Prima 8, Residensi Prima Puteri Jaya here between 5.30pm on November 6 and 11.30am on Nov 20, 2023.

The charge was framed under Section 302 of the Penal Code which carries death penalty or up to 40 years imprisonment, and no less than 12 strokes of whipping.

Clad in a matching blue coloured blouse and scarf, Syuhaidah was calm as she nodded and told Magistrate Khairatul Animah Jelani that she understood the charge.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Amirul Halimi Md Salleh prosecuted the case while the accused was not represented.

No bail is allowed under the charge and the court subsequently set Jan 31, 2024 for mention date pending an autopsy report.

It was reported earlier that police had detained Syuhaidah after she reported the death of her sister on Nov 20.

She had claimed that she had found her sister dead in the room upon returning from work.

However, police had detained her after medical examiners discovered physical injuries on the victim's body.

Most Popular
Related Article
Says Stories