[Updated] Police station attack, Teresa Kok death threat unrelated, says Saifuddin 

PUTRAJAYA: Home Minister Datuk Seri Saifuddin Nasution Ismail has clarified that recent attacks on significant national institutions, including a death threat to a member of parliament, are unrelated.

He said police investigations into these cases found that they were not connected and had different patterns and motives.

"A member of parliament received a death threat accompanied by a bullet, and there were attacks on police stations, but (we found that) the incidents at Ulu Tiram and Datuk Keramat police stations are not connected," he added.

Saifuddin further explained that the trespassing incident at Istana Negara also differed in pattern and motive from the other cases.

"Police interrogations of those involved have confirmed these differences," he said during the Home Ministry's monthly assembly today.

Saifuddin elaborated that the incident at the Datuk Keramat police station occurred due to the suspect being intoxicated. 

Therefore, he emphasised that the "trigger" for this incident was alcohol intoxication, which distinguishes it from the other cases.

"We have already charged him in court under the Penal Code for obstructing a public servant in the discharge of their duties.

"As for the attack at the Ulu Tiram Police Station, as I mentioned before, he acted as a 'lone wolf', whereas the one we detained at the Istana Negara claimed he had a dream, and the dream commanded him to meet His Majesty Sultan Ibrahim King of Malaysia." 

On Sunday, Saifuddin said police were investigating several attacks targeting important national institutions to determine whether they were random acts or part of a coordinated plan.

He said the authorities were closely monitoring the situation and have launched immediate investigations for each case.

The nation was shocked by several attacks reported, including on police stations in Ulu Tiram, Johor, and Dato Keramat, Penang.

Two policemen were killed and another injured after a masked intruder stormed the Ulu Tiram police station on May 17.

Just two days later, a man was arrested shortly after attempting to snatch a submachine gun from a policeman at the Dato Keramat police station.

Meanwhile, Seputeh member of parliament Teresa Kok said she received death threats in a letter enclosed with two bullets in her mailbox on May 18.

Most Popular
Related Article
Says Stories