KOTA BARU: The Kelantan-Thailand border remains secure, despite a recent deadly bomb attack in the Tak Bai sub-province.
Acting Kelantan police chief Datuk Muhamad Zaki Harun said police had been monitoring the border areas regularly to prevent unwanted elements from sneaking into the country.
"The enforcement agencies have been put on alert to ensure our border is secured. Border security is intact and this can be seen as more and more travellers are crossing over to Thailand and vice-versa.
"Locals as well as foreign travellers are confident with the presence of enforcement agencies manning the border," he told reporters today.
Zaki was commenting on a bomb attack at Tak Bai sub-province last Tuesday which killed a 74-year-old man and injured two others.
The incident happened in front of a school about 8.30pm local time (9.30pm Malaysia).
A day after the attack, some 500 Tak Bai residents gathered at the school's field to protest the incident.
They also performed a special prayer there before taking part in an anti-violence rally.