Two people in ICU, six others treated for food poisoning after eating mussels in PD

KUALA LUMPUR: Two people are now being treated at the Intensive Care Unit of a hospital in Negri Sembilan after they were down with poisoning, believed to have been caused by eating mussels.

State health director Datuk Dr Harlina Abdul Rashid, in a statement today, said the two were among eight cases of poisoning from eating mussels detected by the Negri Sembilan Health Department.

"This incident was first detected on April 1, when the Port Dickson district health office received notification from the Port Dickson Hospital.

"Of the total cases reported, two of them were admitted to the ICU while five cases have been admitted to the general ward.

"One case was given outpatient treatment," Dr Harlina said.

Initial investigations, she said, showed that all cases involved several different families with a history of consuming mussels purchased from two markets around Port Dickson.

"All cases experienced symptoms such as headaches, numbness in the hands and feet, and muscle weakness.

"The two cases that have been admitted to the ICU were due to them experiencing more severe symptoms, namely paralysis."

She added that further investigations into the incident are being conducted by the state health department together with the Negri Sembilan Fisheries Department.

"Several samples have been taken for laboratory analysis and notification has been made to all healthcare facilities to identify cases with similar symptoms and a history of consuming mussels or other bivalves.

"The state health department will continue to monitor the latest developments in this mussel poisoning incident and enhance preparedness in implementing prevention and control measures in collaboration with various relevant agencies."

Dr Harlina also advised members of the public who are symptomatic and have a history of consuming mussels or other bivalves to seek treatment at nearby healthcare facilities.

Most Popular
Related Article
Says Stories