KUANTAN: Durian farmers in Raub, who are involved in the judicial review application against an eviction notice by the Pahang government, will meet this week to discuss a suggestion put forward by Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Wan Rosdy Wan Ismail.
Last week, Wan Rosdy advised the 200-odd farmers to reconsider their action to continue or withdraw their application for a judicial review which was filed at the Kuantan High Court three years ago.
A farmer, who declined to be named, said a meeting will be held in the next few days with all the Save Musang King Alliance (Samka) group members to discuss the matter raised by Wan Rosdy.
"All the farmers are aware of the advice (to reconsider the review bid) which was provided by Wan Rosdy and we will meet. At this juncture, no decision has been taken so let us all first sit together and evaluate the options," he said when contacted.
Meanwhile, Samka president Wilson Chang confirmed the meeting describing it as an internal discussion involving the farmers. Samka is a group comprising durian farmers without permits in Raub.
He said the durian farmers were still hoping to be given an opportunity to meet Wan Rosdy, or representatives from the Pahang government to discuss the land matter at length.
On Jan 27, Wan Rosdy in a Facebook posting advised Musang King farmers in Sungai Ruan, Sungai Chalit, Sungai Klau and Tranum who are involved with the judicial review application at the Kuantan High Court to consider if they should continue with the review bid as the disputed land is owned by the state government.
Raub member of parliament Chow Yu Hui had responded by saying the Pahang government has to review its land lease conditions concerning the durian farm legalisation scheme with Royal Pahang Durian Resources-PKPP Sdn Bhd (RPDR-PKPP) to resolve the long-standing durian farmers crisis.
In Aug 2020, some 200 durian planters in Raub filed to obtain permission for a judicial review at the Kuantan High Court against a Pahang government order and decision for them to vacate their farms.
In Dec 2020, the Kuantan High Court dismissed the farmers leave applications, ruling that they had no locus standi to file the legal action.
On Sept 9, 2021, the Court of Appeal allowed an appeal by the group of farmers against the Kuantan High Court's dismissal of their leave applications for a judicial review.